1. How did your parents decide on your name?
My father originally wanted to name me Doogabock. I'm not sure of the spelling because it's not a real word. Luckily, my mom vetoed that nomination but wanted my name to be a little different, so I wound up with Stephany. I hated it growing up, but I've grown to love the unique spelling.
2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything funny?
No. It spells out SMR, which always makes me think of the Smurfs.
3. Did you taken your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
I'm taking my husband's last name when I eventually marry. I have no connection to the last name I currently have and pretty much hate it. (It's super German and nobody pronounces it right!) I would probably drop my last name, if I can do that. Just keep my first and middle name the same, with my husband's name as my last name.
4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (i.e., same first letter, all of the same origin...)
I've known quite a few families that have all their children's names the same first letter. I think it's kind of cute. I don't know if I'll end up doing the same, but it is an option I would consider. Right now, the whole multiple kids ordeal is so far in the future, I'm not even thinking about it.
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Not as a little girl, but probably around fifth grade was when I started really thinking about baby names. I used to be obsessed with them! But my favorites would change rather frequently, so I expect the names I do settle on for my babies will be a lot different than I imagined.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
No. I mean, my brother does have my dad's name but they have different middle names. And he didn't carry on the name to his son.
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
Honestly, I don't put too much stock in meanings. I think they're important, but not so much that it hinders my decisions. For example, the name "Mallory" is one I love and it's the name of a cousin of mine. Meaning? "Ill-omened." Meanings carry very little weight for me.
8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
With all the dogs I've had (Minnie, Buford, Dutch), they've all been named previously so I had no input on that. (Although I did name the dog next door Rory, because he looks like one.) I had a bird, once, that I named Rachel. And a hamster named Shadow (from Homeward Bound...). I also had fish that I named Jack, Rose, Ti, and Tanic. I am nothing if not original. (And I also had a strange obsession with Titanic as a fifth-grader.)
9. Are there any names you have an affinity or dislike based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
There are a few names I've taken off my list thanks to other people having the same name. Sometimes, it just ruins the name, you know? And then there's the names I used to hate due to knowing someone with the name, but then grew to love after knowing someone else with the same name.
10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
I can't give a reason to why I like these names so much, but I just love them. For girls: Aubrey, Bailey, and Lucia. For boys: Levi, Jonah, and Noah.
*Hosted by Chelsea