Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ten Days of Thanksgiving - Day 1

I’ve decided to join Lisa this year in her “Ten Days of Thanksgiving” series. In 2009, I wrote 100 Things I’m Thankful For and seemed to bypass the holiday completely last year so I think this is the perfect way to celebrate my favorite holiday.

Today, I am thankful for my job.

Today is my three-month “anniversary” with my job and it comes to me with a sigh of relief and utter happiness. It’s been a rocky three months, getting used to working full-time and learning the ropes but it has also been a happy three months.

Getting a job as a new graduate is not easy, especially a new graduate with very little related working experience. My marketing internship was what ultimately landed me this job so I can’t stress enough how important internships are as a college student. They can give you invaluable experience. I have many friends from college who are still searching, six months after graduation.

Going to a forty-hour-a-week schedule hasn’t been a difficult adjustment. I was doing more when I was in school, working in the mornings and going to classes in the afternoons. My nights and weekends were filled with writing papers, doing homework, and studying for tests. I do not miss that phase of my life. Not one bit.

There has been a bit of, “So. This is my life now. For the next forty years. OK then.” It’s been an adventure to navigate the professional world. The only time before this one I worked in an office environment was when I worked for a small printing company the summer of 2008. I was the office assistant but there wasn’t a lot for me to do. I basically brought my laptop and played on that the entire time I was there. This has been a different experience.

Even during the rocky moments, even when I questioned if I was the right fit for this position, I am still so happy to be here. I feel blessed with this opportunity.

I am an assistant. It is not the most glamorous job. I do a lot of filing and labeling and data entry. But it’s good. I’m not afraid of hard work. I’m young and inexperienced, I didn’t expect to have a glamorous job.

This place, though? It’s more than just a job. We’re changing lives here and I get to witness this on a first-hand basis. I get to see us raise thousands upon thousands of dollars for charities and call up unsuspecting people, telling them they have just won a prize package worth over $250,000. I couldn’t ask for a better first job.

What is one thing you’re thankful about today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs