Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ten Days of Thanksgiving - Day 8

Today, I am thankful for my love of the written word.

Pinned Image
This? This is my future bedroom. (via)

I have always loved to read. Some of my fondest memories are of libraries and stacks of books and the girls of The Baby-Sitters Club. There’s nothing I love more than getting completely wrapped up in a story, in a place far away from anywhere I’ve been or anything I’ve experienced.

I have been reading for as long as I can remember. I’ve never been much for the classics or more literary books. Those are nice from time to time, but generally I like the ones that make me laugh, roll my eyes at the cheesiness, and my sappy heart squeeze at my characters finding love. Yes, I will generally choose chick-lit or a romance novel over a literary great.

Maybe I’m not the most well-read bookworm, but I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other. The written word is the written word. Some written words are more fluid and meaningful than others, but they each have their own way of speaking to us. Maybe the classics or biographies speak to you. They don’t do much for me, but romance novels and YA lit do.

I used to be embarrassed about being a bookworm. When I was in school, the readers weren’t the popular ones. And since I desperately yearned to be popular and accepted by the elite crowd (the Unicorns, anyone?), I hid my love for reading for a long time. But as I’ve grown up, I’m starting to realize how silly it is to hide your passions for fear of not being accepted. If I’m not accepted because I love to read (or because of my choice in reading material!), then that’s okay. Those people? They are not the people I need to be around anyway.

Have you ever hid a passion, because of how the crowd would react? What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs