Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Out of Touch

This past weekend has really shown me how out of touch I am with my generation. On Saturday, I turn twenty-two years old. Laugh all you want, but twenty-two sounds so old to me. I don't feel as if I act like a typical twenty-two-year-old nor do I look like one. (Evidence by being asked if I needed a kids' menu at a restaurant this past month.)

Granted, I may be stereotyping twentysomethings in this post but from what I've experienced and what I've had to deal with at school and work, this is the norm for people my age. I don't feel as if I'm bucking the trend because I want to be different. I'm bucking the trend because the life of a normal twentysomething doesn't resonate right with me.

Since I've been 21, I've had a total of two drinks. The first on my birthday, which I ended up hating. The second at a Christmas party, which I drank half of before succumbing to the glorious, refreshing taste of a Coke. I don't like the taste of alcohol and I have no desire to experience true drunkenness and the awful effects of being hungover. Alcohol doesn't need to be a part of my life to numb any pain or liven up any get-together. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I've never been to a club or a bar. Is there a part of me that wonders what they're like? Sure. I've been asked to go out to these places before but I always turn those requests down. Am I missing out on much? I don't think so. I don't listen to much mainstream music, I'm a Christian music fan to the core. I'm also not much of a dancer. It's just not me. I'm not the type of girl you're going to see at these types of places. For a few Sundays, I went to Mugs and Jugs (a sports bar) with my dad and brother. It was loud and boisterous and I could not pay attention to the game. (So annoying!) I just didn't like the environment. I felt out of place and irritated by the tipsy/drunk people around me.

I'm just a major homebody. I don't like staying out all night. I would rather stay home on a Saturday night, eating pizza, playing board games, and watching Office reruns than going out on the town, dressed up to the nines, and just feeling uncomfortable all night. I like staying home. I like the comfort that is my home.

I'm not saying I don't like to have fun, because I do. But I just don't have this extroverted, bubbly personality where I would feel comfortable in some of these settings. I'm a really boring person and I like my life. I realize I do need to get out more and start living life larger. But I don't think I'll ever do it by going to a bar and I don't believe I need alcohol to make my life exciting and fun.

It's just who I am. A little out of touch with my generation, but still me.
 
Design by Designer Blogs