Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Halfsies?


Lately, I've begun to question if I can really pull off this half-marathon. While my training is going pretty good and I am surprising myself so much with how far I can run, I feel like I am going to die after just running 2 miles. I do it, but the going gets really hard. I'm not aiming to place or set any great records, but I do want to run most of the race. I know I have 3 more months, but it's only going to get tougher from here.

Another issue I have is the price of the race. I haven't registered yet and the price now until race day is $100. That is a lot of money for me considering I have credit cards to pay, school tuition due in October, books to buy for school, a parking pass to purchase... I really don't know where I'm going to come up with another hundred bucks. Add to the fact that I really need to buy new running shoes as the ones I have now are literally falling apart and sometimes causing me shin splints, I don't know what to do.

This decision is made even harder by the fact that Caitlin, my go-to girl for running advice (even if she doesn't know it!), says she wouldn't pay more than $60 for a half-marathon. Am I paying too much for this one? It's not even benefiting any type of great cause!

My training schedule is going pretty good, all things considering. I've been able to complete my runs, but they are hard. A part of me wants to work towards running a 5K in September, a 10K in November or December, and a half-marathon in March or April. It seems like it might be a more normal racing plan for someone who hasn't done many races and doesn't consider herself a runner. (And currently talks about herself in third person.)

In a way, quitting this half-marathon training seems like another failure to check off on my list of Things I've Started But Never Finished. I make these grand plans of things I'm going to do (get to bed at a decent hour, make straight A's, lose weight, write a novel), but never seem them come to fruition. I know it doesn't mean I'm quitting running and I'll still be training to run a 5K, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Then again, I don't know if this was just an insane plan to give myself - me, someone who has never been able to complete even a 5K. Maybe it would be easier to ease myself into running.

Tell me: what do you think? Should I just put the half-marathon on hold until Spring? Or find a way to pay the race fee and get over myself?

13 comments:

  1. First off, you're doing an awesome job with your training. Second, I'm with Caitlin-$100 is insane expensive!?! I only paid $55 for my full this October. I don't think that by putting it off until the spring would be considered a failure, I think it's smart to listen to your body and train smart. Plus then you can find a more affordable half...register early to get the cheaper price and then you're committed and no turning back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that rather than beat yourself up and think you're "putting it off" because you "failed" or anything like that, just acknowledge that you don't want to pay $100, which sounds like a lot, and possibly get ripped off, and you'd rather save some money and wait to do it when your body is more ready? I believe that by this time next year, you will have run a half marathon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree - $100 is absolute craziness, and you don't want to do your body harm by pushing it too hard too quickly. I'd have to agree with the above - train at your own pace and aim for one further down the line, and hopefully it'll be cheaper, too - don't think of it as "failing", just "postponing and looking after yourself" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you CAN do it.

    I agree with what Caitlin said though - $100 is A LOT. That's what I paid for my FULL marathon. Maybe do some research and see if you can find some other half marathons around the same time that are cheaper?

    It WILL get easier you just have to keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to put other things first... bills and food and all that. And $100 seems expensive for a half marathon. I don't think putting it off would be considered a failure since it's a money thing. And that way you can put a little aside every week so that once spring rolls around you'll have the money to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever you decide, keep up the amazing effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the same boat. I want the achievement, but to pay someone that much money to run 13 miles?! I can't commit to any race right now because of the dates and the costs.

    I think this is where spending money on things v. experiences comes into play. You're paying for the experience and the motivation to keep you running until then. So, is it worth it? I think I'm going to regret NOT spending the money and doing a race more than I'll regret spending it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. $100 dollars is alot for a half. What half is it? Do they have a website? Sometimes they will work with you on cost if you really can't afford it. Many races are even wiling to give you a student price. I would try contacting them..whats their to lose right?

    You can totally do a half marathon. Especially if your training is on track. It is always hard starting out but consistency and determination is key. Running is so much more mental than you think too :)

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait until the spring. As long as you continue your training and keep making progress, it's NOT a failure. I always like weighing the pros and cons of a situation, and there are way too many cons to you continuing with the half-marathon in November. It's a little out of your current budget, it comes at the same time other bills are due, and you need new shoes so that you don't injure yourself. I have no doubt that you could do it, but I think you'd be MORE ready in the springtime. You could ask for new shoes for your birthday or Christmas, and you can research another half-marathon that has a cheaper registration cost (or at least a race in which the proceeds go to a good cause). Ultimately, though, it's up to you, and I will be cheering you on no matter what you decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you CAN totally do it, but I think it might be a little bit of an aggressive goal? That's not to say that you can't achieve it, though... and $100 is pretty steep for a 1/2 marathon. I think the most I've paid for a half is around $60?

    Don't feel like a failure. If you are goign to stress out about it and not enjoy training, it's not going to be a very fun process for you... So maybe look for something in the winter or spring to train for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think there is ANY shame in putting off the half plans and starting out with something a little more manageable. I don't know anything about what a marathon should cost, but I DEFINITELY think that buying good running shoes should be a top priority, because they make all the difference. I think that shooting for a goal is super important, regardless of whether that goal is to run a 5K or a frickin' Iron Man thingamajig. Start small, girl! You can do it, and you don't have to be in any rush.

    ReplyDelete
  12. $100 seems expensive, more than triathlons even. Is there another race around the same time or a little later that you could run?

    I really do think you can do it, as long as you are determined and stick to your plan. As soon as you find the right race for you - register! Putting down the money will help you stay committed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with most people, $100 seems like a lot and since you haven't run a half before and you're feeling kind of unsure why not make sure you take the time to train right and listen to your body. I so do not think you are a failure at all. What about finding the 5k you want to do and committing to that by signing up for that? That way you hold yourself accountable to completing that and even though you aren't doing this $100 half you're at least investing in doing a half marathon by committing to at least doing the 5k. You aren't giving up, you're just being practical and making sure that when you do spend however much you spend on the half, you will know you will run it feeling prepared to do your best. That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs