Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Holiday Week: Confessions
1. This year, my mom and I bought a fake tree. I have been on Team Real Tree for the past 23 years, where the thought of going artificial made my skin crawl. But then I got to thinking about the process of buying a tree, bringing it home, fitting it into the stand, watering it and dealing with the needles. Going artificial was a no-brainer and it has been so much easier.
2. This season, I cannot listen to the song “Christmas Shoes.” The song is so sad and puts me in a depressed funk. Also, I can’t stand the song “Same Old Lang Syne,” since I don’t think the singer has a very good voice. This song is just too corny for me.
3. Apparently, now you have to “Santa-tize” your hands before seeing Santa. I don’t remember doing this when I was a kid and remained perfectly healthy. It’s funny how germaphobe our society has gotten. (And I’m not saying in this a bad way, just an observation!)
4. We always wrap presents for our dog and put them under the tree. Doesn’t every pet owner do this? No?
5. I have no memories of any bad Christmases. My mom always did everything she could to make sure my brother and I had a great Christmas, even if she had to sacrifice a lot.
6. This is the first Christmas in a very long time that I will spend at home. My mom and I are hosting Christmas dinner and my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew are coming over. I am really, really excited about this.
7. This week fills me up with all sorts of anxiety and fear that something horrible will befall my family and make the holidays a time of sadness for me.
8. Growing up, I always figured Santa came to our apartment and knocked on the door, even though in every movie, he came through the chimney. Unfortunately, we don’t have one of those so that was my best guess to how Santa brought us presents.
9. Also, on the Santa front, I was always confused why he wrapped our presents for us but in every movie, he didn’t wrap any presents.
10. Carol of the Bells used to scare the crap out of me. Now, it’s my favorite Christmas song.
What are some of your holiday confessions?
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for some after-Christmas presents! Giveaway closes at 7pm EST on Sunday, December 26.