Friday, January 7, 2011

Twenty-Six Point Two

MarathonMedal2-300x300

Well, the weekend is finally here. On Sunday, my mom is running her first marathon. She may not be prepared in the traditional sense of getting in the mileage she needs. (Her longest run has only been 13.1 miles.) But she’s prepared in the mentally. While she had to take a good 7 weeks off her marathon training to recover from her accident, the minute she got the OK to run, run she did. She’s kept up steady mileage since October. She’s ready.

We’re leaving today at lunchtime for Orlando where we’ll check into our hotel and then head over to the race expo. It’s going to be crazy over there this weekend. There are over 20,000 people signed up for the marathon. That’s nuts! Every hotel is booked and I know it’s going to be annoying to find somewhere to eat on Saturday night. (Especially Italian restaurants!) I’ve never been to a race expo so it’ll be neat to experience it all!

Saturday will be a fun day of sleeping in and hanging out around the hotel. We’ll keep it low-key since Sunday’s going to be insane. My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew are coming up on Saturday night to support my mom during her race. I am so, so, so excited they’re coming and I know it’ll give her the extra something-something she needs to finish her race.

disney-marathon

Sunday is going to be crazy. We have to leave the hotel by 3am and head over to the park. (She starts at Epcot.) My brother and I will get to see her four different times during the race: at the beginning, at Mile 4, at Mile 12.5, and at the end. Luckily, the Walt Disney World Marathon has an excellent spectator guide so I was able to print off where I could spot her and how to get there. It’s a little bit different from a regular marathon since she’s running through all the different Disney parks, so it’s very helpful to have this information. My SIL and nephew will join us at the end.

I am so incredibly nervous for my mom. She’s scared of being pulled out of the race because her pace isn’t fast enough, although I think she’ll be OK. She has to maintain a 16-minute mile pace and she’s been averaging 13-minute miles lately. She’s hoping to finish  in 6 hours.

Our other big concern was the weather. Last year, it was 26 degrees. For wimpy Florida folk like us, that is cold. We were anxiously awaiting 10 days until the race so we could finally check the weather. It started pretty scary with a low of 43 degrees and a 20% chance of rain. But it’s gradually worked it’s way up to a low of 53 degrees, although the rain chance remains the same. As a spectator, I am thrilled. I don’t function well with cold weather but I can definitely handle 50-60 degree weather.

disney marathon

It’s an amazing accomplishment and I cannot wait to see her cross that finish line and prove to herself how much she is capable of.

I’ll finish with the quote that was featured in Runner’s World daily e-mails, "You can never be sure. That's what makes the marathon both fearsome and fascinating. The deeper you go into the unknown, the more uncertain you become. But then you finish. And you wonder later, 'How did I do that?' This question compels you to keep making the journey from the usual to the magical. (Joe Henderson)

x, x, x

20 comments:

  1. Yay!! This is so cool! My friend is running there this weekend too. I was checking it out. I think it sounds like a blast. I know your mom is going to do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to your mom!! I bet she is going to do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're going to have a very exciting weekend! Looking forward to reading how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh best of luck to your mum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I know of a few other bloggers running the race there this weekend. Sounds like it will be fun. Best of luck to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A marathon through Disney sounds so fun! If I ever did one, that's definitely the kind I'd be interested in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to your mom! Enjoy the spectatorship and have a great time/trip =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is exciting! Have a great time in Orlando and good luck to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just emailed your blog entry to my Houston friend to confirm that she's working that event. :) one of my best friends (best best best) is a marathon coordinator and she's there right now! Small world. Kinda.

    Good luck to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck to your mom! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to your mom. GET A MICKEY PHOTO.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck to your mom! How awesome that she'll have her family there, cheering her on. that will make a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how supportive you are of your mom, you two have such a wonderful relationship. Good luck to your mom, I'll be thinking of her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post! I love that your mom seems like your best friend. Wishing her the best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you guys will have a blast, that sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so exciting! Good luck to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your mama kicked arse. The weather wasn't too bad right? At least it's not as cold as it was a couple weeks ago! TOO cold for us Floridians!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay yay yay, how did she do?

    I am so excited you and your family were there to support her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How awesome!!! Can't wait to hear all about her run.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm anxious to hear all about your mom's marathon now! Don't leave us hanging for too long. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs