Wednesday, January 12, 2011

7:09:56

Picnik collagePicnik collageIt’s been a crazy few days around here. I’ve been running around since coming back in town Monday afternoon, attending classes, working, and getting back into the swing of things. I’m finally able to have a moment to write this post.

My mom is officially a marathoner. She finished the Walt Disney World Marathon and while it took her longer than expected, she still finished. And really, that’s all that matters.

I have a post in the works about my spectator experience, because there was a lot of good and a lot of bad that happened during the day. But let’s focus on my mom for today.

It was an early day for my mom, my brother, and I. We left the hotel by 3am in order to arrive at the race site on time. With 17,500+ racers, we knew travel to the race would get pretty heavy closer to 5am, when racers had to be in their corrals. We arrived before 3:30am and basically shivered our butts off while waiting. My mom left us around 4:15am to head over to the corral start and my brother and I got to wait in the freezing cold for the next 2 hours. It was awful. I was dressed in yoga pants, a long-sleeved tech tee, a short-sleeved cotton tee, and a sweatshirt but it was not warm enough at all. My toes were icicles by 5am. I tried sitting down on the ground and reading, but I was just too cold to ever get comfortable.

The race started at 5:30am with the wheelchair racers and then the rest of the runners. While I was supposed to get updates via my phone on my mom, I never got an update of when she started so luckily, Cecelia was able to hop on her computer and help me out! I didn’t get to see my mom at the start because she was on the other side of the street (plus, it was packed with all the runners!) but they circled around at Mile 4 and I got to see her then. She was in pretty good spirits, so it calmed me down somewhat. (I was an emotional wreck the entire day.)

I was able to see my mom at Mile 9 and Mile 12.5, but that was it until the end. I wish I could’ve seen her further in the race because I think it would’ve helped both of us. And since she gave me her cell phone, I didn’t have any way to know where she was or how she was doing. That part sucked so much. I was so worried about her and didn’t know if she had been pulled out or what. She had never ran or walked farther than 13 miles before, so this was a totally new experience for her. I just wanted to see her, make sure she was OK, and give her a pep talk if she needed it.

Around Mile 20, the race organizers started harping on the runners to keep with a 16:00-minute mile pace. My mom had to stay ahead of a girl because if she got behind her, she would get pulled out. So, on a foot with a huge blister on the bottom, my mom had to run. She would run ahead of the girl until she was pretty far ahead then walk until she got close again. It couldn’t have been easy and she said she wanted to give up so badly. But she kept pressing on. When she got to Mile 24, she was able to stay with her own pace because the race organizers said she was good until the end and would get her medal. I couldn’t imagine what those 4 miles were like, though. Nervous of getting pulled out, part of you wanting to be pulled out, but knowing you are so close to the end.

When I saw her turn the corner to the finish line, I was overly emotional. No matter if it takes you 3 hours or 7 hours, finishing a marathon is a huge accomplishment. And she did it! Even with all that was working against her, she kept pressing on, kept training, and finished a marathon.

She was hit by a car on August 13. From September – January 9, she ran a total of 94.9 miles in just races alone. She ran three 5K’s, one 10K, two half-marathons, and a full marathon. That’s crazy. Her legs feel fine and she wasn’t even too sore from the marathon. Her biggest problem is the blister at the bottom of her foot.

But there you have it. My mom ran a marathon. The one who used to say her best exercise was the short .25 mile walk to Wendy’s, who was morbidly obese four years ago, and whose journey to this point all started in 1999 when she left my father…she did it. She ran a marathon. 26.2 miles. Amazing.

(Oh, and while she said on Sunday that she would never, ever run a marathon again. By Monday, she was leaning the other way. I truly believe she will run another one where she can train better.)

24 comments:

  1. Your mum is AMAZING, you must be so incredibly proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Momma!!! Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing!!! Congrats to your mom..what an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your mom! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your mom! I was thinking of her on Sunday and hoping it was going well!

    That is an EARLY start time! Yikes!!

    When my parents watched me run my first marathon, they said it was incredibly nerve wracking for them. It was unseasonably hot (nearly 90 degrees when I finished) so there were alot of medical emergencies. My mom said they sat at the finish line, hearing the ambulance sirens, and just prayed that I was ok. She said it was such a relief when they saw me coming towards the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that your mom was able to finish and get her medal! She definitely deserves it =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom ROCKS! Congrats to her! What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your mom!! Jesse's family does lots of the Disney runs and they love them- it sounds like an amazing experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your mom!! That is SO AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay congrats to your mom! She is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! Congrats to your mom, big time!!! She accomplished something so many people cannot do, even after the accident which was physical adversity she overcame. Sounds like an amazing experience to watch someone you love complete one of their goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom is such an inspiration. Congratulations to her---they are well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, that's awesome that your mom finished and it's so nice to see that you're so proud of her. :) Maybe some day you and your mom both will run a marathon together?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is SO impressive!!! Seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to your mom! Such an amazing accomplishment, especially when her longest training run was 13 miles! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to your mom!! She is a total rockstar. I'm so happy to hear that she stuck with it even with the threat of being pulled out.

    Also, I cannot even IMAGINE how worried you were without having any contact with her - I know I would likely be in a panic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so awesome about your mom, what a Thrilling moments for her! Also what a great bond you both have by encourage each other through out the sport!- Smiles
    God's good to take care of her down to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So. Amazing. How anyone can keep moving for 7 hours, I cannot comprehend! I only hope one day I can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwwwwww I teared up at the end of this! Congrats to your mom. I would have been such an emotional wreck too! But I'm so happy to hear things went so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mom is awesome! A huge congrats to her for running the marathon. Every year when my grandpap does his big race (its almost a half) its always nerve wracking. Especially this past year because he wasn't at his best and it was super humid.

    ReplyDelete
  21. GO MOM! That's so Awesome!

    PS- Cuuuute pix!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so so proud of your mom. She worked really hard to get to that marathon. And she should be proud of herself!

    I would be so worried of falling behind that last pacer! And I cannot believe they yell at people to keep up the pace!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for being the loving, caring and compassionate daughter that you are to your mother. You are amazing and wonderful. The support you give to your mother is more than incredible. Congratulations to both of you!!!! We are so happy for you both. What a team! We love you ...Give moma huge hug....Grandma & Pops

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs