Wednesday, February 2, 2011

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind, Part 6

Read Parts 1-5 here

tumblr_lfur16RsEO1qch9dho1_500_large via

26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

I would most definitely rather lose my old memories. In fact, it would sort of be a blessing in disguise to not remember my past and the things from my past that are holding me back! I know there is a lot of talk how mistakes of the past shape us into who we are today, but they seem to keep me from really experiencing life and living it to the fullest when I remember the ways my dad emotionally abused me, and the bullying I dealt with in middle school.

27. Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

In a way, no. I think this is why my faith has been such a struggle. I’m not content to just say I believe it, and leave it at that. I need more. I need answers to my many questions. I envy people who just trust God without any qualms, but that’s not my way. I am constantly challenging what I believe and holding it up to what the world believes. Obviously, they are radically different. But I think challenging the truth is so useful and Christians need to do it more. I want to know my faith inside and out, and be able to answer any question a non-Christian throws my way.

28. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

No, not yet. It terrifies me that one day I will live in a world without my mom or my grandma or my brother, or any other family member. I feel so blessed to not know the pain of what that is like yet. I know I won’t continue with this innocence of death, but I’m going to enjoy every minute of my family while I have them.

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?

Five years ago, I was 18, in my senior year of high school. What probably upset me the most was college decisions and the stress of my final semester as a high school student. Looking back, it doesn’t matter. I am exactly where I need to be at this moment. But we’re not very rational when we’re deep in the moment, are we?

30. What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special?

One childhood memory that stands out especially is this silly moment in the car after we had all had a fabulous dinner at a steak house. My brother and I were maybe 7 and 8 and my parents were playing papers-scissors-rock to determine who got to use the bathroom first. I remember their laughter, which didn’t happen often. I remember my full belly and this deep peace that everything was OK right then. A lot of my childhood was uncertain and chaotic so these moments were rare but amazing to me.

I’d love to know your answer to #27 – Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first? What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. that first question is such an interesting one, I would hope to never have to really decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm stuck on that first question too. I have things that I would like to forget about from my past, but I also have some pretty amazing memories that I don't want to let go of. But then - how would I say I don't want to create new memories with my boyfriend, my niece, my nephew, etc.? That is a serious question.

    In terms of the question about truth - I really enjoyed your answer and I've come at the issue of faith in a really similar way. I don't want to offend anyone, but I have met several Christians who are unmoving in what they believe and what they think others should believe. After years of struggling with this, I'm comfortable with my relationship with God, with my church and with my faith. So, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great answers Steph! I don't know if I have an answer for #27, but I'm with you on 28. I can't even imagine a world without my mom or brother or other closest family members. It's really hard to lose someone but those two in particular... My world would be impossible to live in. Where do you get these questions to answer, by the way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well thought out Steph, I need to get my butt in gear and answer these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are interesting, thought-provoking questions... the first one is especially intriguing because I really don't know what the answer would be. I am a person who practically lives in the past a lot, so maybe, if someone would take all my memories away, I could start fresh and stop reminiscing so much?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm... I think that some truths can be accepted. Like a parent's love for their child (at least for the most part). But other truths, i agree, they have to be challenged. Maybe it's because of our past experiences, or our curiousity or upbringing but there are sometimes where someone will tell me something and I just have to know why, you know? Like I can't accept it for its face value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I likeyour reflection on the truth. I agree with that completely. I had a lot of challenges and questions on my faith path. That's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That question is so difficult. I can't even begin to answer it... In fact, I don't know if I even know what it means...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember how I answered #27, but I'm sure my answer was "No."

    There are truths which are obvious, like stating the sky is blue and grass is green, but it can go so much deeper than that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These questions are tough! I found you off of Jenny's blog! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that, if you don't challenge the truth, you only half-heartedly believe in it. It's important to challenge it so that you find what makes it the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs