Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13, 2010

One year ago today, I was brushing my teeth at 6:00 a.m., almost ready to leave for work. It was a Friday and it was the last Water Day of the summer. I wasn’t looking forward to how crazy it would be.

One year ago today, I heard my dog whining and pawing at the door but shrugged it off, thinking he probably thought he heard something. I continued brushing my teeth.

One year ago today, I heard my mom open the door and didn’t think anything of it until I heard her say my name at the bathroom door. I turned around, took one look at her, and promptly spilled all the water and toothpaste that was in my mouth as my mouth open wide in shock, as her face and clothes were covered in blood.

One year ago today, I heard my mom say the words, “I was hit by a car. I think I need to go to the emergency room.” Words I never expected to hear, even with all her early morning runs outside.

One year ago today, I drove my mom to a deserted emergency room where we were quickly seen. There were tests to be run, police to be called, and information to be given. Once it was clear this wasn’t a hit-and-run and my mom had left the scene willingly (she was scared out of her mind and it still irks me that these people who hit her didn’t force her to stay or at least give her their information), the police left and it was simply a case for the doctors.

One year ago today, I breathed sighs of relief as my mom was cleared of any head trauma or internal injuries. I watched a surgeon put 18 stitches above her left eyebrow. I winced as the cuts on her hands, elbows, and knees were cleaned and bandaged. We found out she had broken her elbow.

 

One year ago today, I took my mom home after 5 hours in the emergency room. I watched her stumble and fall while I tried to get her into the house. I watched her eyes roll back into her head and never again do I want to be that scared.

It was the scariest morning of my life and what followed were weeks of taking care of the household and my mother. But when I think about what August 2010 could have been like - scheduling her funeral, learning to live life without a mother -, I feel so blessed and thankful God granted me this opportunity to show my mother how much she means to me.

043

I think about today. August 13, 2011. It could have been the one-year anniversary of my mother’s death. When I think about all we have been through in the past year - my graduation, our cruise, countless moments together, all the moments watching her be a grandma to my sweet nephew - I just can’t imagine what this year would have been like if it had been without her. One of my biggest fears in life is losing my mother. She is more than a mother to me. She is my best friend, my rock, my confidante, my support system and biggest cheerleader, the person who still picks me up when I fall down and never fails to cheer me up when I’m sad. Even thinking about going through this world without her is unbearable.

 

It’s been a year. One full year exactly since my mom was hit by a car. She celebrated by running 8 miles this morning and then attending a Weight Watchers meeting where she finally got back to her Lifetime status. I’d say she just came full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs