Friday, August 5, 2011

Five For Friday: Things I’ll Miss

Today is my last day at the preschool where I have worked since February 2009. It was a job to have while I was in school and it has been an amazing place for me. My boss has been amazingly flexible with my weird school schedule. I have learned so much and I know today will be a bittersweet day. I am going to miss the kids and the people.

That said, I am so ready for a new challenge and to close this chapter in my life. For today’s Five For Friday, I’m writing about the things I’ll miss from this place. As excited as I am to finally leave my job behind, it’s been a good one for me and it’s not going to be easy leaving it all.

Five Things I’ll Miss

1. The kids. One of the best things about working in daycare is the relationship you build with the kids. I worked with children aged 2 months to 5 years old and saw so many of them go through all the stages. One of my favorite kids, E., I met when he was just 19 months old and now he’s a big, bad 4-year-old with attitude and the most inquisitive mind I’ve ever met. I have seen so many of the kids go through so many changes and they all hold a special place in my heart. In my old preschool, I was stuck in the “baby dungeon” and wasn’t able to meet many of the older kids. Here, all the kids know me by name and like me. And when a kid likes you? You know you’re golden. I am going to miss these little rugrats. I’m going to miss the questions, the hugs, the baby snuggles, the open-mouthed kisses, the teasing, the smiles, the giggles, the “brattitude” as my good friend likes to say, the wide range of personalities. I’m especially going to miss how one can never have a bad day when surrounded by children. They won’t let you.

2. The camaraderie. I have a great group of friends at this place. Some I developed really close friendships with and some I developed great working relationships. For the most part, I get along with everyone at my job. I can work with them all, although there are some I enjoy working with more than others. They have shown me unlimited support with my schooling, graduation, and job search. With each interview, I was wished good luck and asked about it the next day. They have been excited right along with me for my new job. I am hopeful I will find the same type of friendships and camaraderie with my new co-workers but they have set the bar high.

3. Knowing how to do every job. I’ve never been at a place where I feel so comfortable. I can step into any room and know the kids and the schedule. The kitchen is my home where I make breakfast every day for the kids, unload the lunches and breakfast (for the next day) that have been delivered, and even do lunch, if needed. I’ve become highly flexible and it’s a skill I can take into any future career.

4. My work BFF. I don’t even know how to put into words how much my relationship with this girl means to me. We were put in the same classroom, me as her assistant, for over a year and it was the best year I had there. We are so similar and she taught me so much. I firmly believe I would have passed my teaching internships had I learned from her first. Yes, a twenty-something with only her daycare certification taught me more about teaching and handling conflict in the classroom than veteran teachers with their Master’s degrees. She has been my go-to girl for venting about work and life, being my support system when I needed her, and always being someone I can laugh and joke with. I don’t know if I’ll ever have a work relationship like the one I had with her. What I do know is that our friendship will not end when this job does.

5. The easy hours. For the past year, my hours have been very hit and miss. On the one hand, it was great when I was in school and had afternoons free for classes and homework. On the other hand, it makes for super crappy paychecks. I leave before noon most days and it’s been a super easy schedule for me. I’m going to miss those afternoon naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me all giddy with excitement.

 
Design by Designer Blogs