Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Smooth Start

Week 1 of the semester is in the books. Only 14 weeks to go? Yikes.

I think I'm going to end up enjoying all my classes. Always a plus. I don't think I'm going to be enjoying all of the homework. I may be a nerd but I haven't gone that far yet.

Teacher-wise, I think I lucked out. All of my teachers seem really awesome. In my Tuesday night class (Beginning Reporting), we have two teachers. One of the teachers brought in a jar full of miniature candy bars. The other teacher brought in oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. Yes, I think I'm going to like them a lot.

It's going to be a pretty tough semester. Looking through the syllabi* for my classes, there are some pretty hefty assignments. I have 2 case studies (and I hate, hate, hate case studies) and an assignment where I have to interview 3 scientists on campus. Since I'm intimidated easily (especially by people with higher education), I'm not looking forward to this assignment.

The good news is, I have friends in all my classes! This is a remarkable moment because I'm usually the shy, quiet girl who never raises her hand for anything. I try to make friends, I really do, but it's hard for me. I'm not friendly and find it hard to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know.

In all of my classes, I have people who were in my Writing for the Mass Media class and I think we all bonded over that experience. Suffice it to say, although my teacher was great, she was dealing with a lot of personal problems and canceled class repeatedly. She assigned 8 papers for us to write but we only ended up writing 3. She only ended up grading 1 of those papers and by the end of the semester, she basically asked us what grade we felt we deserved. No lie. (Guess what grade I received?)

My goal for the semester (other than writing great papers and acing the classes) is to be more friendly. Because I'm so not friendly! I wish I was. And I really want to start participating more in class. I have things to say, but I'm usually too shy to say them. So that's 2 goals (actually, 4 if you count the academic goals).

Here's to (yet another) great semester! (And yes, I understand that was super cheesy)

*I think syllabi is the proper plural term for syllabus. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!
 
Design by Designer Blogs