Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Can't Live Without

*This post is being written as part of 20SB’s Blog Carnival—check it out!*

I consider myself a pretty simple girl. I've lasted over an entire year without cable television. For an entire year, I survived on only the basic channels - and rabbit ears. I went for a long time without a laptop, when my previous one's power cord stopped working. I don't have a car and my mom and I have spent a good part of the last two years struggling financially.

But we have survived.

Money and stuff are things that make life easier - and maybe more enjoyable. Sure, it would be nice to power up the boat on a Saturday and cruise down the Intercoastal. It would be nice to hit the mall on a Sunday afternoon and fill up my wardrobe. It would be nice to not have to worry if we have to, once again, swallow our pride and request a cash advance.

But I cannot live without my family. My family is my biggest source of pride and inspiration. When I'm having a bad day, they lift me up. When I have great news to share, they are the first to offer congratulations and praise for me. When I'm struggling with an issue, I know I talk to any of them and get their immediate feedback - and the truth.

And everyone in my family has something different to offer. When I need to discuss religion and God, my grandparents are the ones I turn to. They have so much knowledge and wisdom that I know I can ask them a question and they can give me the truth. (Along with a million Bible verses.) They are such godly people and don't rely on the way of the world to show them how to live their life. They rely on God's Word in every facet of their being.

If I need a pick-me-up, my brother is the best person to go to. Not only do I think he hung the stars, but I consider him one of my closest friends. He is also the most knowledgeable person about football that I have ever met. He can give you stats on any player in the NFL. He can give you stats about a lot of players in NCAA football. He can talk about coaches and defensive schemes and quarterback comparisons. I feel like I'm sitting with the next Chris Berman when I talk to him. His knowledge just astounds me. And he's also someone I admire as a man. We didn't have the ideal childhood but he got past it and is growing into a man that just amazes me. And anytime I have a problem, he knows the exact words to make me feel better and cherished.

If I need to shoot the breeze and have some fun, my cousins are perfect. They are all 7+ years younger than me but they are amazing people. They aren't perfect and sometimes I wonder how we came from the same family, but they are my cousins. And I love them to death. They teach me not to take myself too seriously and laugh at everything. I don't have to be too funny or too pretty or too smart around them. I can just be Stephany - and they'll make sure to make fun of that. And that's why I love them.

And if I need a shoulder to cry on, a problem to solve, or an issue to discuss, my mom is the one I go to. I recently talked about how awesome she is and I still feel that I didn't do her justice. I know I can come to her with any problem and she'll give me honest but loving answers. She is so wise (and I know she doesn't think so) and such a good support system for me. I honestly couldn't survive without my mother. She is my heart, my passion, and my life. I wouldn't be the woman I am today without her.

I also can't live without God. I know I put God at the end of this blog entry, when He most definitely should go at the top. But I've been struggling lately with my faith. But every Sunday when I go to church, it just reaffirms how much I need God in my life and I need to have His presence fill my days - not just my Sundays. I belong at church. God makes me feel beautiful and worthy. He gave up so much for me and continues to forgive me when I don't deserve it.


So, there you have my answer. Now, you tell me: What can't you live without?
 
Design by Designer Blogs